Report a Concern

Zoning Compliance is dedicated to the health, safety, welfare and quality of life within Elbert County. The main objective is to get violations corrected voluntarily, however, in the event of non-compliance, Code Enforcement may issue summonses to appear in Court, abate the property at the owner’s expense, and file liens on the properties.

 Should you have any questions or concerns regarding Code Enforcement staff, please call 720-595-3619.

To report a possible code violation to Code Enforcement:

You may email the complaint to Code Enforcement, or call the Code Enforcement main number 720-595-3619. Please leave a message as this is an extremely busy office and they may not be able to answer every call as they come in. In order to expedite a response to the issue please leave the following information:

  1. Address or location -Be specific and include building number, direction such as east, west, north or south; any identifiable landmarks.
  2. Type of violations-provide as much relevant detailed information as possible. (description of activity, date and time observed, duration of activity.)
  3. Contact Information-Your name, address, phone number and/or email in the event clarification or additional information is needed.

PLEASE NOTE: Once a violation is reported, an active investigation begins. Every effort is made to ensure confidentiality of both the reporting party and the subject party. As such, the Code Enforcement staff do not provide updates on active cases. 

Request Initiated
Code Enforcement Inspection
Violation Exist?
No ⇨
Close Request

Yes ⇩

Yes ⇧

Begin Corrective Action Notice
Violation Corrected?

No ⇩

County May Pursue Corrective Remedies

(corrective remedies may include citation and abatement)

Code Enforcement priorities:

  1. Violations that present an imminent threat to public health and safety 
  2. IBC & IRC Code violations that present an imminent danger to building occupants
  3. Board up and security of vacant and abandoned buildings
  4. Land use and zoning violations
  5. Other

Response times to these types of complaints will vary based on priority, staffing levels, and complaint volume.  Ideally imminent dangers will be responded to immediately while others may take a few days for a response.  

What is the difference between a Code Enforcement Official, a Health Inspector, and a Building Inspector?

A Code Enforcement Official may conduct patrols to ensure compliance with Elbert County Zoning Regulations and Ordinances.  Code Enforcement responds to complaints about property maintenance, zoning compliance, litter, sign violations, junk vehicles and the like.  

Health Inspectors will handle violations dealing with environmental health, septic systems & sanitation, disease control, and many other health related issues.

Building inspectors handle all building code inspections and violations.  

Elbert County does not have jurisdiction over civil matters.  Some common types of civil disputes:

  • Neighbors-property lines, fences, tree maintenance, pets, parking, noise 
  • Landlord and tenants-Security deposits, repairs, evictions, privacy
  • Business and consumer-Refunds, repairs, warranties, deposits
  • Domestic-Roommates, domestic partners, family members, friends
  • Homeowner Associations-repairs, covenants, regulations, boards or owner issues

These types of issues must be handled by the citizen through civil proceedings.

Additional Resources:

Elbert County Health Department
Elbert County Building Department
Elbert County Public Works
Elbert County Community Development Services