Elbert County Zoning Compliance enforces the Elbert County Zoning Regulations. Possible violations are reported to the Building Department. Once a possible violation is identified, Building Department may utilize its enforcement officials to do an investigation to see if there is merit to the claim.
The type of investigation will vary with the alleged violation, and may include a site visit and an attempt to talk to the owners of the property. If, through the investigation, a Code Enforcement Official has personal knowledge that a code violation exists, a notice of violation may be provided to the owner(s) of the property.
Zoning Compliance works to ensure that uses of land regulated in unincorporated Elbert County comply with the Elbert County Zoning Regulations (PDF) and County ordinances. Zoning Compliance uses a two-pronged approach to correct a Code violation;
- first by working with property owners to achieve voluntary compliance; and
- second by pursing legal action through the court system if a violation is not corrected.
The goal is to improve the health, safety and aesthetic appearance of neighborhoods in Elbert County and to foster orderly community development and improve economic vitality.
All code violations may not meet a degree of significance to warrant continued staff time and the expenditure of further County funds. A Zoning Compliance Officer has the ability to determine that although a technical violation exists, the violation does not meet a standard of significance to warrant further expenditure of staff time and County resources.
Violation Types Include:
- Unpermitted Construction
- Land Use without required permits
- Home Occupations without required permits
- Illegal Outdoor Storage (Rubbish)
- Signs without required permits
- Inoperable/Unlicensed Vehicles
- Multiple dwellings
- Living in RVs, Camp Trailers