Community and Economic Development - Planning

Responsibilities & Services

Elbert County's Community and Development Services (CDS) Department works with property owners and developers to make sure that land uses in the County comply with the County's Comprehensive Plan, codes, and regulations. This includes processing requests to rezone, subdivide, or for a special use by review.

Land Use Applications

The CDS Department processes land use applications, which are presented to the Planning Commission for review and recommendation to the Board of County Commissioners, the decision-making body. The Board of County Commissioners establishes the regulations and standards that guide CDS's activities.


In order for a building permit to be issued, a property in Elbert County must be zoned appropriately or be in an approved subdivision. Parcels smaller than 35 acres must undergo subdivision review by CDS and the Planning Commission prior to development.

CDS' professional staff:

  • Review permits for most land uses
  • Issue group event permits, land use change permits, and a variety of specialized permits
  • Support development in the County to help create a prosperous, productive and healthy community

Board Support

In addition, CDS staff provide administrative support to the Planning Commission and the Board of Adjustment.

Application Submission

Please contact CDS at for more information.